We give thanks to the Almighty God for the gift of life and the opportunity to converge here this evening for discussions on the progress of our dear union. On behave of the Chairman and members of the SWC, I welcome our esteemed members to the first congress since the inception of this Administration.
Below are the highlights of major activities the council engaged in since the commencement of this administration.
- Inauguration: This present Administration was inaugurated on the 4th of July, 2018 after a contest between Mall. Umar Abdulwahab and Comrade BabatundeJimba for the position of Chairman, which Mall. Umar won.
Others that were sworn-in with Mall. Umar Abdulwahab are: Mall. Mustafa Abubakar as Vice Chairman; Dcn. OmotayoAyanda as Secretary; Mr. OlayinkaAlaya as Assist. Secretary; Mall. IsiaqBabatunde as Treasure; Mr. BabajideFadeyi as Financial Sec.; Ahmed ‘Lateef as Auditor; Mall. AbubakarOwolabi as Ex-Officio I and Mrs. Joke Adeniyi-Jackson as Ex-Officio II.
- Handing-Over: The property of the Council were handed-over to the newly constituted Executives immediately after inauguration. Property handed-over includes – NUJ Pen House situated at opposite St. Anthony’s Secondary School, Offa Road, GRA, Ilorin, which accommodated equipped offices, Hall, Chalet, Kitchen, befitting Mosque and Pen Modern Schools.
Others handed-over property are: an 18-sitter bus, a building at Amilegbe, Journalists Estate and the Council bank account.
Immediately the property were handed-over, we took inventories and identified damaged items, while renovations are ongoing on some of the faulty property.
- Courtesy Visits: After assumption of office, we embarked on series of courtesy visits on some important personalities including the public and private organizations to get ourselves familiarize with them. Among those visited includes: The Hon. Commissioner for Information, Niger Lower River Basin, Independent Electoral Commission, DSS Office, University of Ilorin, Sobi FM, Correspondent Chapel, The Herald Newspaper, Radio Kwara among other.
Likewise, we received some organizations who paid courtesy calls on the Chairman of the Council at the Press Centre, some of them includes: Peace and Security Network, National Orientation Agency, Joint National Association of Persons with Disabilities.
- NUJ Modern School: Few week after inauguration of this Excos, the NUJ Modern School was commissioned by the Former National President, Alh. AbdulwaheedOdusile. The school has since commenced 2018/2019 academic session.
To ensure smooth take-off, a committee headed by the immediate past chairman of the council, under the supervision of the Council Chairman was constituted. However, the council has appointed a teacher for the school.
- Review of Staff Salaries and Excos Allowances: In accordance with the congress resolution for the upward review of the Staff Salaries and Excos Allowances, the Council has increased the Salary of the both the Office Secretary and Driver from N15,000 to N18,000 and that of the Office Assistant from N8,000 to N12,000 monthly.
Also the Chairman allowance was increased from N7,000 to N10,000 and that of the Secretary from N5,000 to N7,000, while other members of the Excos were increased from N3,000 to N5,000 monthly.
- Special Congress: The council held a special congress on the 29th of August, 2018 as part of the efforts to sensitize our members on the NUJ Nationwide Protect.
- NUJ Nationwide Protest: in line with the National Secretariat directive, the Kwara State Council staged a peaceful protest against the violation of press freedom in the country on the 30th of August, 2018 and it was well attended by members.
- NAWOJ Election: The NAWOJ, Kwara Chapter conducted their election on the 31st of August, 2018 during the NAWOJ Week Celebration and AyobolaOlupinla was elected as their Chairperson.
- National Delegate Conference: The Kwara State Council delegates joined other states’ delegates at the 6th Trienial Delegate Conference held at Abeokuta, Ogun State between 3rd and 5th of October, 2018. The new National Officers were elected at the Conference, Chris Isiguzo emerged as the National NUJ President.
Our own Comrade AbiodunAbdulkareem and Mr. FadeyiBabajide were elected as National Financial Sec. and Zonal Sec. respectively.
- SEC Meeting: The council held State Executives Committee (SEC) on the 29th of Oct, 2018 and it was well attended by the Chairmen and Secretaries of Chapels that formed the State Council.
- Naming Ceremony: The wives of the Council Auditor, Ahmed ‘Lateef and that of KayodeAbdulazeez of Correspondents Chapel put to bed in the months under review. Likewise, the Office Secretary, Mrs. Mariam Ahmed gave birth to a bouncing baby boy and the Council was well represented at their naming ceremonies.
- Attack on Journalists: The secretariat received reports of assaults on some members of Correspondents Chapel by supporters of All Progressive Congress (APC). The Council symmetrized with the affected members. Consequently, statement was issued to caution APC and other political parties against further assault on our members in the state.
Reports reaching the secretariat from Correspondents Chapel indicated that the parties have apologized through writing. The Council also received a delegation from APC, led by Chief AkogunOyedepo to plead over the incidents.
- Condolence Visit: The council received the news of the demises of Mrs. YemisiAdeyemi, the wife of one time Chairman of the Kwara State Council and Former National President of NUJ, Senator Smart Adeyemi and that of the mother of Miss. MosunmolaAyobami of the Correspondents Chapel. The Council was well represented at the Final Burial Ceremony of Mrs. Adeyemi at Iyara, Kogi State. Also, the chairman and other members of the State Working Committee (SWC) paid condolence visit to the family of Miss. MosunmolaAyobami with a view to commiserate with them over the loss of their Mother. May the Almighty God reposed the soul of the departed.
- Conclusion: This Administration will continue to count on your supports at all times. We thank you all for listening.