It is a year into the life of this Mall. Umr Abdulwahab led administration. How has the journey been? We must first thank God the Almighty for how far He had helped us throughout a year journey and also thank members of this great Union for their support and cooperation which had brought us this far. Below are array of activities worthy of mention in the last one year.
- Inauguration: This Administration was in inaugurated on the 4th of July, 2018.
- Courtesy Visits: The council, in the last one year paid 58 courtesy calls on various Corporate Orgainsations as well as Governments, Non-governmental Organizations and prominent citizens. Among them are: INEC, Unilorin, Kwara Poly, Commissioners of Education and Information, DSS, NPF, Correspondents’ Chapel, Herald, Lower Niger River Basin, DPR and many others too numerous to mention.
Likewise, we received 34 Organisations and Individuals who paid visits to the Press Centre. Some of them includes: Peace and Security Network, NOA, Joint National Association of Persons with Disabilities, CPS to Governor Abdulrahman AbdulRazaq, NANS, Leadership of NLC, SWAN, Political Groups and many more.
- Congress: This administration held six congresses in the last one year.
- SEC Meeting: In the year under review, the Council was able to hold two State Executive Meetings (SEC), on 29th of October, 2018 and 26th March, 2019 respectively.
- NEC Meeting: Likewise, we attended two National Executive Meetings (NEC), first at Abuja in January, 2019, while the second was held at Abia State in June, 2019.
- Programmes: In the last one year we organized series of programmes which includes:
- NUJ Nationwide Protest: in line with the National Secretariat directive, the State Council staged a peaceful protest against the violation of press freedom in the country of 30th August, 2018.
- Yusuf-O-Ali Media Roundtable: The State Council in collaboration with Time Nigeria Magazine and Africa Media Congress held 3rd Edition on the 5th of December, 2018.
iii. Seminar: Also, on 12th December, 2018 the Council in collaboration with National Orientation Agency (NOA) orgainsed a day seminar on the topic: Journalists and Ethics of Election Coverage and Reportage toward the 2019 General Elections.
- Media Parliament: the Council was able to organise the 23rd and 24th Edition of Media Parliaments on 7th January and 25th March, 2019 respectively in the year under review.
- World Press Freedom Day: The Council also orgainsed a day programme to commemorate this year World Press Freedom Day on the 3rd of May, 2019.
- Commissioning of NUJ Model School
vii. Commissioning of NUJ Mosque
viii. Investiture: Investiture was performed on the Unilorin Vice Chancellor as one of the Grand Patrons of the Council on the 25th of May, 2019.
- NUJ Annual Ramadam Lecture: We have been able to sustain the Annual Ramadam Lecture. That of this year was held on 18th May, 2019.
- NUJ Bio-Metrics and Data Capturing: This administration successfully conducted Data Capturing of Members and 133 members were issued with NUJ Digital Identity Cards. However, the Council has concluded arrangement to update its Database and members who have gotten additional qualifications or have moved from one organisation to the other should see the Council Secretary to update their data.
- Chapel Elections and Inauguration: in the year under review, the following Chapels were inaugurated – Federal Information Chapel, NAWOJ and SWAN. We want to use this opportunity to inform other Chapels’ Executives who are due in office to conduct election for new Executives.
- Press Statements: This administration issued 16 press statements in the year. This includes Statements on 2019 General Elections, The three Government-owned media houses, World Press Freedom Day and Congratulation messages on the inauguration of Gov. Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq, appointment of CPS among others.
- Press Conferences: Forty-three Press Conferences were also held at the Press Centre in the last one year.
- Committees: The Ethics and Disciplinary Committee was the only committee that was reconstituted by this administration. We urge Chapels to submit names of their members for the formation of other committees.
- NUJ Model School: We have been able to secure approval from Ministries of Education and Health. Today, the classes have been equipped to standard. Pupils in the crèche class are expected to move into nursery class in this coming academic session.
- IIJ: This Administration has been able to sustain the International Institute of Journalism (IIJ) programme. Today, we have students in Public Relation/Advertising and Journalism classes.
- NLC Election: We participated as delegates in the last Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Kwara State Chapter Election. The council is working on how to increase our delegate from two to at least ten delegates.
- Appreciation: We thank every member for the support given to this administration in the last one year. We equally implore you to continue to support us throughout the remaining days of our tenure. Thanks and God bless.
Dcn. Omotayo Ayanda